Sunday, January 31, 2010

Networking

No, this post is not about Ethernet cabling and the merits of using the T568A or B standards for RJ-45 connectors. Thank God!  It's about connecting with people, hopefully with mutually beneficial results.

One thing that I've kind of discovered for myself, is that people are willing to help someone as long as they can be confident the person they are helping is worthy of it. That they will not be somehow encumbered. And that there may be some benefit to themselves.  I think that's why the bums with the good stories, do pretty well (for bums).  People see that they have some talent and are using what they got. It makes sense.  Nobody likes a leech.  People have built up defenses to keep from getting bilked., scammed, or screwed.  The easiest way to keep people from taking advantage, is to charge them. This works, and many people make their living off of it (it's called the service industry). Unfortunately it excludes the folk, like me, who prefer not to pay (money) for stuff.  We say things like: "The best things in life are free." in order to justify our cheapness.  I get a kick out of getting value for free. Or if not really "free" then at least for no monetary investment.  It's so true that "money is not everything", at least, after a point.  You should see me at trade shows, or conventions, county fairs, or anywhere there are people who want to give out free stuff.  I love going to Madison's annual Dairy Expo.  You would not believe the amount of freebies those sperm wranglers give out, not to mention all the free cheese!!

What does this have to do with my going to see the shuttle launch? Well, not much I guess.  I just sent an email to Ozzie (Robert Osband). This guy has created a great FAQ. The Space Launch Viewing FAQ
(and more I'm sure) about viewing a shuttle launch. It's been such a good resource to me, that I plan on copying the text of it into a note in my iPhone, so I'll have all that rich and chocolaty information on hand, even if I loose all connectivity.

Every time, over the last several years, when the idea of going down to experience a launch would pop back into my head, the way things in my head do, his FAQ would always be on the top of the Google results.  I was reading through his FAQ again this morning and realized that a great deal of the information in my head, is there because he felt fit to write it down and share it with anyone who looks. Thanks Ozzie!  Anyway, I figured, who better to give me some advice on how to manage my trip down his way, than the guy who write the FAQ.   I'm nervous about the fact that I haven't made (and do not plan to) any hotel reservations for this trip.  I think that it will help me to keep it spontaneous. I really love the idea that for over a entire week, the only place that I HAVE to be, is the press area,  near the Vehicle Assembly Building   at the Kennedy Space Center at 4:39 A.M. on Superbowl Sunday 2010.  Other than that, my plans are wide open. (except meeting up with my Navy buddy in Louisville, possibly visiting a club brother in Florida somewhere, seeing the D-Day museum in New Orleans (not the one I've already been to, and have a t-shirt from, in Virginia), driving the Tail of the Dragon, and maybe making it back by Thursday so I can see some burlesque friends perform.)  So remember, not everybody that is looking to get something for nothing, really has nothing to offer, it's just not always the green. 

P.S. not that anyone reads this, but if you do, and have a bed,  near the Kennedy Space Center, that is unoccupied, and wouldn't mind a biker looking, space geek, journalist in a hot BMW on a long road trip, to occupy it for a night or two, let me know.

1 Comments:

At January 31, 2010 at 11:50 PM , Anonymous dragonlms said...

"not that anyone reads this, but if you do, and have a bed, near the Kennedy Space Center, that is unoccupied, and wouldn't mind a biker looking, space geek, journalist in a hot BMW on a long road trip, to occupy it for a night or two, let me know."

Now who could resist a man who fits that description a bed for a couple of nights? Curiosity alone would make me say, "Heck ya. Come stay and tell me how one single guy can fit those descriptions."

 

Post a Comment

be nice.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home