Monday, March 8, 2010

Bring Google's Fiber to Madison Wisconsin

I've been filling out the Google "nominate your town for Google's High speed fiber". (AS YOU SHOULD TOO)  While doing that, I came across the field in their questionnaire for a link to "supporting material". I figured that I better provide some of that to help ensure that my adopted home town of Madison Wisconsin gets this game changing technology, and that when it does, I can say I helped to get it.  Plus it may also get someone else to read my blog (Hi Google employee-- go ahead and read a couple of my posts while you're here, you may like them)

I've already posted about my idea for a Googe fiber mascot on the FB page  Bring Google fiber to Madison Wisconsin!  I want Madison to have a "Google bird" (think cross between road runner (fast) and Big-Birdish (fun) ,instead of yellow, it would be colored like the Google logo. I haven't decided if it should speak or not yet. We'll see.  Join the FB group, and do the survey for Google, the eggheads will, hopefully, want to see some enthusiasm.  In my opinion, Dane county is perfect for not only Google fiber, but for Googleplex II, but that's a campaign for the future.

Madison is perfect for this project, not just because we want it for ourself, which we do, but because Madison is the perfect place to us as a "test bed" for a technology like this. We have all the characteristics of a metropolis sized city (the good and some of the challenges), without the scale.  Madison is truly a small city, instead of a big town.  All within a very defined geographic area is a downtown area which is as urban as any, sub-urban areas, and rural areas.  Madison is perfect for this for many reasons

  • Geographically
  • Technologically (Home of a prestigious State university & a Google office)
  • Metaphysically (did I mention the Dali Lama is coming here soon)
  • Chronologically  (proven early adopter of technology with our wi-fi)
  • Governmentally (our mayor is fully onboard to get Google fiber)
  • Infrastructurally  (just the right combination of old and new neighborhoods to accurately asses the difficulty of scaling service up for the rest of the world)
  • Emotionally (Everyone I've talked to (who knows about it) is extremely excited, because they too know that Madison is the perfect place for it.
I hope to imbed some sort of funny video here, in order to garner more attention for Madison's bid, but we'll see how things go, before I start sewing a "Google bird" costume for myself.

1 Comments:

At March 8, 2010 at 1:55 PM , Anonymous dragonlms said...

"I hope to imbed some sort of funny video here, in order to garner more attention for Madison's bid, but we'll see how things go, before I start sewing a "Google bird" costume for myself."

Funny, I can totally see you doing that. Sewing the costume and then wearing it around town.

 

Post a Comment

be nice.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home